29 November, 2010

Product Review: Mission Workshop: The Shed


A few months ago, Mission Workshop hit me up to do a review on "The Shed", the first ever "Rolltop Messenger Bag". After taking this bag back and forth from work, Las vegas for interbike, and SF for the BFF, I figured it was time for the write up. I really took my time with this bag, I would love it, then out of nowhere I would just hate it, (the Gemini in me) and not use it for a few days. It was my travel bag, meaning I would pack clothes in another bag, and bring this as my roll around the city bag. Fill it with my shopping, tools, camera and other shit I would need during the trip. As for commuting, I liked it. It has a real professional look to it. Coming into a professional work environment, it made me feel legit, and very proud to be riding my bike to work. Almost like a briefcase, but more badass. As a working bag, i.e. Bike Messenger, I wouldn't use it (I'll explain below), for a commuter or Student, where you are in and out of your bag very little, and need to carry a bunch of stuff at one time. I highly recommend it. Read on for the full explanation.


The profile of the bag is sick. It looks good on, so many compliments from people on the street. At interbike, I was getting stopped left and right from industry folks wanting to know what bag company it was from.

I really liked the shoulder strap/ pad combo. Feels good and looks great on. I have carried a ton of weight in this bag, and always felt secure on my body. No real issues. At interbike, after having 30+Lbs in it, for over Ten hours my shoulder was feeling the pain, but most sling bags would have had the same issues after that much time. The width of the shoulder strap, really came into play when there was a lot of weight in the bag. It kept the bag on your shoulder not digging into it or in your neck. One of the features I liked.

One of the features I didn't like. The chest compression strap. It needs to change. Even after a few months, it never broke in, it was impossible for me to tighten or loosen while riding, with out going all over the road or almost crashing. I would have stop riding or before I got going, use both hands to muscle it through to get it how I wanted. I would curse it on a daily basis. Please fix it, or change it up.

The Rolltop feature. Never used it. I did once and it was very uncomfortable to ride with. I like how deep the bag is, but for me the rolltop was something I could do without. It just wasn't my cup of tea. I kept it traditional.

The Buckle system, very nice. Made for tightening and loosening the bag very easy. Looks flashy as well. You can now upgrade the buckles to various colors. The only I would add to this system is another buckle or D-ring to the end of the compression strap. Just a little something more to grab onto as you cinch the bag tight on your chest.

This photo is from my Shed update a bit ago. It really shows how deep the bag is, and also why this is not a working Bike Messenger's bag. The bag's fold over flap/ rolltop part, creates a huge pocket to fill, but it is impossible to get into while riding or standing, you can't really dig around in the bag or reach far into it, while it is on your body. Some many times, I had to take it off just get something out. This bag is perfect for commuters or students who want to look clean and have to carry a bunch of stuff while riding. That what I use it for, going to work or the grocery store, not for getting in and out of quickly and a lot of times through out your day.

I loved this pocket. The Laptop pocket. So good. This is what really makes this bag good for commuters and students. The laptop pocket creates a safe place to store your laptop, without sacraficing space in the main comparment. I have carried so much in the main pocket, had my laptop in it's cubby hole, and have forgotten it was there. All messenger bags need to adapt to this. I can't sing it's praises enough. Great work there. I have crashed, and the machine was perfectly protected, no worries at all.

The Shed, the new Urban Briefcase.

2 comments:

  1. ok honest question time...Chrome Metropolis or this bag?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the best and most accurate review online of the Shed, or any of the other MW messenger style bags.

    I ordered one recently, even though I had misgivings about ease of access via the rolltop while wearing the bag. I have a love/hate relationship with the bag too.

    Love:
    The design- this is, to my eyes, the most stylish messenger out there.
    Laptop compartment- very handy and neat.
    Build quality and workmanship- the bag feels very well put together, although I'm a perfectionist and did spy a couple of loose threads which I cut off.
    The rolltop- the great thing about it is how it makes the bag expandable, while keeping its overall footprint quite small when not full loaded. (But I also hate the rolltop, see below)

    Hate:
    The rolltop-yes, it's really handy for increasing the storage of the bag if you have a lot of stuff to carry, but it's really awkward to get into while you're wearing it. Not an issue for lots of folks, definitely an issue if you're in and out of it a lot during the day.
    The shape of the bag is also dictated by the rolltop- recently packing a rectangular box into it, the only way I could get it in was on its end, which made packing the rest of the bag more cumbersome than it needed to be. This is because the bag is narrower at the top than the bottom.
    When the bag is fully loaded (i.e. filled to the top of the rolltop), it sits awkwardly on your back, especially when riding. This takes away from its utility as an expandable bag.

    Dislike:
    The shoulder strap- I find that the end of the strap where it attaches to the bag to enable switching orientation (left or right shoulder) always seems to end up on my left shoulder and is uncomfortable. If I wear the bag such that this part of the bag is off my shoulder, (i.e. swivelling the main buckle upwards), the other end of the bag nudges into my right elbow when I'm riding.
    I've also found that the strap has a habit of twisting back on itself when I put it on, particularly with a heavy load.
    Using the release buckle with a heavy load has also ended up with the seatbelt webbing twisted a number of times, as the bag drops down quickly. Not sure what causes this.

    These are small enough niggles, but overall they dampen my enthusiasm for the bag.

    I'll keep mine, mainly for work settings, and where I don't need to get in and out of it frequently, but I've ordered myself a more traditional style messenger bag for on bike duty.

    Overall, I agree with the review, it's more of an urban briefcase than a true messenger, and is best suited to off-bike use.

    ReplyDelete