29 November, 2010

Rider Profile: Ace Carretero



The Boogie Monster. I love my dude. Forever cracking jokes and spinning spokes. haha. Seriously, Ace pushes me. One of the hardest working guys I know. We get into it sometimes, but it's always for the best. Chin Checking, I love it, it makes me want to be better and work harder. I thank him so much for introducing me to the Nerd Crew, and letting me get down. This is what I call Family, and I'm happy that Ace is core member of mine. CNBC. Interview after the jump.


Ace Carretero

what do you ride?
1 track, 1 road
Toyo Godzilla with Sugino/EAI drive train
Mavic CXP12>Phil Wood HF 32h
Thomson Bits

Kelly Road Bike
Built with Red
Miss Matching Mavic wheels
Thomson/Easton Bits

How long have you been riding/ what started you?
I’ve been riding since 2005 and what started me was riding to work on my 24” bmx cruiser. As a kid I always wanted an Elf BMX bike. After saving up some money i was determined to get it. My exposure to track bike was seeing my co-workers ride a type of bike that was impractical. As a joke they told me I wouldn’t be able to ride that type of bike, and i wanted to prove to my self i could do it.

Do you wear a helmet and why or why not?
Yes. I wear a helmet because the first time I used it for it’s intended purpose, It felt like my head hit a pillow when I fell. “what do ya know, they do work.” At that point I was convinced.

Favorite Shop? Why? Orange 20 Bikes.
I built my first bike entirely from parts that they suggested to me back in 2006. I honestly don’t feel comfortable buying from anyone else.

Clip or clipless on a Track bike in the Streets?
It all depends on the riding conditions. Commuting/Cruising with my friends the choice is obvious, Clips. On more challenging rides I opt for clipless because of the efficiency.

Ride with headphones/ music?
In the city where there are cars as obstacles, I like to be alert so no headphones. If I'm doing a particularly long ride in more remote areas i’ll put the shuffle on to keep my mind off how much I'm hurting.

Sponsors or teams/ gangs/ clubs you are a part of?
Chubby Boob, The Juice Cycling, Trophy Club

Fav. Race?
Missing Out or Friendly wagers against friends.

Fav. place to ride or route(s) in LA?
Griffith/PCH/Sunset Blvd[all of it]

Fav. person(s) to ride with?
Trophy Club, The Juice, CBNC

Dope Chill spot?
Scum Dungeon

Why LA?
Chasing celluloid dreams with digital cameras

What do you do for work?
I sell wheel strings, rear gorillas, King Cog Headsets, and Tire spatulas at LA’s premier bike shop (o20).

What else do you do/ projects/ hobbies?
Photo Journalist, Best Boyfriend in the World, aspiring body builder, lover of good times.

Dream Bike?
Getting my Samson restored by Samson

Best/ worst about riding in LA?
Best thing would have to be the varying terrain. The worst would have to be the varying terrain.

Any LA secrets/ tips you want to give out?
Pan Pacific park is the spot after hours.

Shout outs?
Ma & Pa Dukes, Original Mellow Mondays Camp (Capsole), Nerd Crew, The Juice Crew, My Boo, The-Sleepers, 2 Rabbits, Trophy Club, Yokal, Trafik, Encino Velo, RTBL, Valley Dudes, o20 Groms. People i will shout out directly; Devon, Mary, Jay & Cicero, John Platt, Jason Carrasco, Shaun Hood, Oscar, Avo, Anthony, Colt, Gert, Matt Stanley, Tushi, Evon from KRSM, Jups, Ynot?, Shiloh, Hassan, Jed, Kei, Joemm, Sean Martin, Joe Labato, Chunk, Bob, Mike, Kyle Ng, Cole, Mike Bike, Gomi, Gaunty, Baller, Sit, 11hz robot, Yong, Dj Neight, Nobi, Giro, Tyler Humer, Tim, Kyle, Jeff & Nina the robots, Ty on Two wheels, Ernie, T-Bone, Beaver, George, Efram, Juan, Chem, Puntakarn Kanchom, Mikey Wally, Jim Cadenhead, TJ Flexer, Kelly Martin, Hime, Hern, Jack, Megan, Alex transient, Chicken Leather, Cat, Ashira, Shert, Too Tall, Greg, Juan, Jenny, Tall Zach, Zachary Taka Scott, Tony Z, and Ro Blvd and a whole mess of other people i’ve met through cycling. If i left you out i didn’t mean to. Just know all of you make me smile.

Last word?
Sleeper

Check the rest of the profiles out here!

6 comments: