28 March, 2011

Rider Profile: John Gabriel (JTR)


The Man, The Myth, The Legend. Some might say he is the underground king of Los Angeles Cycling, and Master of his world of Sanctioned Races. I say he is my friend, and a pretty rad dude, who can handle a bicycle a whole lot better then most. I have the utmost respect for JTR, and he deserves it. I could to go in to many reasons why, but I think this small interview will provide a glimpse into that. He seems to set the bar everywhere he goes, and he just set the bar with these answers. Enjoy!


What do you ride?
Specialized! Specialized! Specialized! No I don’t work for them, I’m just of the opinion that they make the finest bicycles in the world. And of course my opinion is the only one that counts;)
But to get into specifics
2011 Specialized SWorks Tarmac SL3
2010 Specialized SWorks Tarmac SL3
2003 Trek 5900. This is my first road bike. It’s what I used to get through the categories. It has more wins on it than all of my other bikes combined. I keep it because it’s always good to remember your first;)
2009 Nagasawa Track Bike. Because I like bikes and I’m febrile for stuff from that part of the world.
2004 Felt TK2. Because you need a track bike to do Lord or Griffith!!!
2003 Trek Fuel. Sometimes I like to get a little dirty.
2011 Giatex Ox. Someone gave it to me for taking some pictures with it.

And of course, your mother.

How long have you been riding/ what started you?
I had bmx bikes throughout my youth. Of course once I got a license I didn’t ride much anymore. I spent four years in Colorado and got a little into mountain biking but not too seriously as my main focus then was running competitively. Once I got out of the military I came back to California for grad school. Of course in grad school drinking seemed to be of greater importance than working out. A close friend and some family members started complaining about me changing from muscular to fat and lazy. So for a birthday present they bought me a nice mountain bike. I started riding and racing. My very good friend Carl introduced me to his younger brother Fritz who also raced mountain bikes. Fritz and I raced against each other frequently and for the life of me I could not beat him. I asked his secret and he told me he did most of his training on a road bike. So within a month I got a road bike. I started racing road almost immediately. I also started racing on the track. It was at this point riding really became an integrated part of my life.

Do you wear a helmet and why or why not?
I do wear a helmet. I’ve spent a substantial amount of time, money and effort filling my brain with information. I’d like to keep it in there. Also the idea of drinking all my meals through a straw does not sound appealing to me.

All joking aside, I spend a fair amount of time riding. As a result I’m a fairly competent bike handler. Even with all my competency I still crash. Some of my crashes have involved full on head impacts to the ground that have totally destroyed my helmet. I’m always thankful it’s my helmet that breaks and not my head.

Favorite Shop? Why?
Rock n Road Cyclery.

They sell the best bikes in the world. Specialized!!! They sponsor the best team in the world!!! Team Sho Air/Rock n Road!!! Sponsorships aside those shops are highly professional and the mechanical competence is unrivaled.

Of course I must mention an LA based favorite. Bike Effect in Santa Monica. Steven Carre is simply the best bike fitter around. You either buy nice or buy twice and getting fit by this guy you’re getting perfection. Larry Silva the head mechanic there is a wizard with the wrenches, so if your bike cost $20 or $20,000 it’s in good hands at this place.

Clip or clipless? Why?
I wasn’t aware there was anything other than clipless.

Ride with headphones/ music?
No music or head phones. I do live and ride in LA. HA! Riding in LA involves negotiating a substantial amount of traffic so I like to hear what’s going on around me.

I also like to focus on my own internal dialog. I find that to be far more entertaining than any song.

Sponsors or teams/ gangs/ clubs you are a part of?
Team Sho Air/Rock n Road

Fav. Race(s)?
Any that I win. Of course I also have some serious love in my heart for a few I can’t seem to win.

But to get down to specifics let’s start with the raw world of unsanctioned street racing. I have a serious addiction to anything Wolfpack Hustle hosts. And I have three straight years worth of tags to prove it. Of course I also have tons of love for Downtown LA’s Finest and the events they throw. And last but not least one of the most epic of street races, The Lord of Griffith!!! Mighty fine looking set of Phil’s you got there;)

Sanctioned races that I love:
LA Circuit Race
San Pedro Grand Prix
San Marcos Circuit Race
Ladera Ranch Grand Prix
Bakersfield Road State Champs course (I love this one times 2;)
San Clemente Criterium
San Luis Rey Road Race (I swear I will win this before I die.)

Fav. place to ride or route(s) in LA?
Honestly it’s not the street or scenery that makes a particular ride enjoyable for me. It’s always the people that make a ride special and memorable in my mind. So I’m down to ride anywhere and everywhere as long as I have good people to go with.

Fav. person(s) to ride with?
I honestly love riding with anyone and everyone. I help organize a ride on Wednesday nights called TRFKAS. My major hope for that ride is that it’s a welcoming environment for anyone who wants to throw their leg over a bike. So if you’re a person and you have a bike it would be great to ride with you!!! With that said, I do have one favorite;)

Dope Chill spot?
The Ritz-Carlton Club Lounge is nice.

Why LA?
The people!!! So much diversity.

What do you do for work?
I work for a large health care organization managing the outpatient portion of their electronic medical record system. Don’t mess with me people!!! I’m clearly a badass!

What else do you do/ projects/ hobbies?
I ride bikes.

Dream Bike?
I’m living the dream. Anything Specialized S-Works is a dream come true.

Best/ worst about riding in LA?
The best thing about riding in LA is the variety of people you can do it with. The worst thing is all the damn cars!!!

Any LA secrets/ tips you want to give out?
Burn your car. Ride your bike more.

Shout outs?
To everyone that I know, you mean so much. To those that I don’t know, come ride with me!!!

Why do you think Sean Martin is so loved by women and revered by men?
It has to be those ginger locks.

Last word?
I love you all!!!


Check out the rest here!

*Photo by Mikey Wally

2 comments:

  1. Good thing you asked if he wears a helmet. What needs to be stressed is pedestrians needs to wear a helmet around him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not having headphones in is a good policy. Mainly because it looks like you will be hearing all that goes on around you in prison

    ReplyDelete