21 March, 2011

Rider Profile: Fabian Vazquez



Fabian Vazquez, another one of those young beasts that LA is producing right now. I have watched this young man in the last year go from geeky on the bike to getting 2nd Road, 4th overall in the Wolfpack Crash race this past weekend. Then he went home napped, got up and raced in Sanctioned race. What did I do? Rode home and slept all day. Ya'll need to really watch out for all of these young guys, I'm talking about, they will be LA's cycling future. I expect big things from Fabian and his stable of bikes.


What do you ride?
Lately I have been riding my Tarmac sl2 alot. But my stable consists of a Specialized Allez, All City Nature Boy, and Surly Steamroller.

How long have you been riding/ what started you?
I started road biking when I was about 13 with my dad. I really got into skating when I started highschool though. In 2007 I started using my old road bike again just ride around. That year a local bike shop (echo park cycles) had recently opened up and i ended up picking up a surly steamroller from there. The rest is history. I Still love that bike dearly.

Do you wear a helmet and why or why not?
I always wear a helmet. I have already crashed twice wear the helmet saved my life.

Favorite Shop? Why?
Echo Park Cycles hands down. They taught me how to wrench and I really absorbed alot of info on just the general lifestyle of riding in LA. I wouldnt be the rider I am today without them.

Clip or clipless?
Clipless. I use my road bike shoes alot. I have a pair of MTB shoes that I hardly use. But theres really nothing that compares to the feeling of being directly connected to each pedal stroke.

Ride with headphones/ music?
Nah. There is enough stimuli coming in through the outside that I dont usually get bored.

Sponsors or teams/ gangs/ clubs you are a part of?
I ride for the Jr Sho Air team.

Fav. Race?
I have a few. Street races: Wolfpack crash race, Urban cyclocross race, Stairway to Heaven race, SB to SM, and Vuelta De LA. Sanctioned races: I had the most fun in the Callville stage race. The Nevada desert is completely desolate and beautiful at the same time.

Fav. place to ride or route(s) in LA?
Griffith frontside, backside, and side to side.

Fav. person(s) to ride with?
The Ride Formally Known as Silverlake Ride

Dope Chill spot?
Tangs 2AM

Why LA?
I was born and raised. I have never regretted that.

What do you do for work?
When I was little I used to help my mom sell purses at the echo park lake. I used to do Catering in highschool. I did installation and maintenance at Fox Studios. But I also used to sell weed at my highschool. But right now I just go to Santa monica College. haha

What else do you do/ projects/ hobbies?
I like to doodle sometimes. But I play in a band called the Mel Brooks. Come to our next show!

Dream Bike?
A flying unicorn that runs on peaches and fires carbon rainbows at my enemies. (also a custom Mothattack track bike would be nice)

Best/ worst about riding in LA?
The people/The people.

Any LA secrets/ tips you want to give out?
What do you call a cyclist who doesn't wear a helmet? An organ donor.

Shout outs?
First to my parents, did a great job raising me. My father John Gabriel, Jon, Carlos, Evan, Jances, Riccardo, Victor, Jacob, Irv, toph, Don, Johnnel, Ash, Ron, Illy, Sidney, Molly, Raul, Jairo, Kevin Hird, Team Sho Air, Echo Park Cycles, Wolfpack, Pasadena Racoons, Cyclones, TRFKAS!!!, and anyone else that I didnt list because im stupid.

Last word?
If your not hurting. Your not going fast enough.

Check out the rest here

1 comment:

  1. Not just "LA cycling future"... the world!

    ReplyDelete