06 December, 2010

Rider Profile: Jennifer Shulkin



A little bit go, I started noticing this tiny girl showing up at various events, with one or more of my friends. Super talkative, very attentive to the conversations, and always has some funny shit to add or rad stories to compete with our "witty banter". Any girl that can hang out with us, and not be disgusted or turned away by the shit we say or do and still want to hang out, while holding her own, is amazing in my book. Plus she can wield a bike like a sword. I'm excited every time she races (kicking ass at Cross), and really can't wait for summer to witness her stomp the competition. Jenny makes me want to go explore Chicago, only if she was there with me. Road Trip? I'm happy to have gotten to know her, and hope my own baby behavior doesn't bother her too much. Get to know our BabyNerd, after the jump.


Jennifer Shulkin aka Jennifriend etc. aka BabyNerd

What do you ride?
Fuji Track
Redline Conquest Pro Cyclocross (with slicks when I'm riding road)
Harry Havnoonian Jr Track Bike work-in-progress.


How long have you been riding/ what started you?
I started riding back in the day when I moved to Chicago. I'm a bad driver, walking bores me, and the subway in Chicago smells... so it seemed the best way to get around the city.

Do you wear a helmet and why or why not?
Yes I DO! Why? A promise to my mama.

Favorite Shop? Why?
Orange 20. When I moved to LA O20 became more of a family to me than a shop. Except they are not Jewish, and don't tell at me as much about finding a boyfriend and calling my grandfather.

Clip or clipless?
This week clipless, but I always switch it up. And you will never spot me walking in cleats. Mostly cause I'm a girl and I like shoes.

Ride with headphones/ music?
I generally listen to books on tape (this is completely untrue... but how cool would that be?). I like to keep my ears open to the bells and whistles of the city.

Sponsors or teams/ gangs/ clubs you are a part of?
Orange 20 (The Juice), CBNC, Team Pegasus, Team Wigwam

Fav. Race?
Cyclocross... any time any place.

Fav. place to ride or route(s) in LA?
I'd love to say Griffith Park or Mulloland Drive, but what I enjoy the most is riding around DTLA, especially at night. Reminds me of riding back home in Chicago, less the smell of diesel fuel and hot dogs.

Fav. person(s) to ride with?
My friends, especially when we are going on adventures.

Dope Chill spot?
The Ronin Gallery/Scoops/My Bed

Why LA?
I moved to LA a few months back from Chicago. Chicago is where you will find my home and heart, but I'm loving LA. I wanted to get serious about being a trainer, and when the most well known gym in the world offered me a job, I packed up the cats and headed west.

What do you do for work?
I'm a personal trainer at Gold's Gym Hollywood. I love my job.

What else do you do/ projects/ hobbies?
Being a friend. Being a baby.

Dream Bike?
A custom road bike built by Aaron at Six-Eleven Bicycle Co.

Best/ worst about riding in LA?
LA is stunning. I love the weather and the terrain, but I miss the heartbeat of Chicago. To be honest, I'm still looking for the pulse of LA.

Any LA secrets/ tips you want to give out?
Assume that the driver in the car next to you is text messaging something SUPER IMPORTANT and does not know you are there.

Shout outs?
I think all my friends know who they are, I tell them all the time. If you're not in LA... Come visit me!! And mostly to my mom, who after 2,015 miles, 6 tattoos, and zero Jewish boyfriends still manages to find a way to be proud of me.

Last word?
Newp, babies don't talk.


Check out all the other profiles, here!

1 comment: