25 October, 2010

Rider Profile: Zach Kahl



Recently, I have been getting back in touch with Zach and Megan (Megan, where are your photo's and answers?). Two of my favorites, that moved to Chicago, to be in love and what ever else one does in Chicago. So I thought I would give them both a moment, and tell us what is up with Chi-Town and how they ride. (Megan, it's your turn) Read on after the jump!

ZACH KAHL - 26 Years of Age - Chicago

What do you ride?
Custom Waterford Velo Track, thanks Orange 20. Dura Ace drivetrain down low, Nitto on top, Crane brass bell, DA>Mavic OP rear with Rando, Suzue Promax>Deep V with RiBMo front, Rolls Saddle.

How long have you been riding/ what started you?
Been riding bikes my whole life, non stop. BMX as a kid, then MTB until 2008, when I began track bike riding in the city. All I ride on the street is my track bike, Ridley Xride cross bike for racing fun.

Do you wear a helmet and why or why not?
I always wear one, no matter the distance or type of ride. I feel like those who wear helmets look serious and much more respectable. Being hit by cars and hitting parked cars myself helps keep the helmet on, as well. Kids, please wear a helmet and look good doing what you love.

Favorite Shop? Why?
Orange 20 in LA. They helped me out through a total of four bikes. The guys and girls there are honest and inviting. The shop is a place to not only find any part you could be looking for, but it also gives a safe place for cyclists to meet and just hang out. Beers in the fridge and smiles at the register. Yojimbo's Garage here in Chi. Marcus is a super super good mechanic and has set his roots here in the city. The shop has peculiar hours and an interesting location, but is incredibly comfortable once you get inside! Sean, check this place out when you get to Chicago; there are 2 shop cats that you will absolutely love.

Clip or clipless?
Clipless, mtb specific. Time ATAC Carbons with Specialized S-Works shoes make me a very happy boy.

Ride with headphones/ music?
I ride with music (right ear only, low volume) always, except when racing or riding home from the bar. Safety first when you need to be using all those senses!

Sponsors or teams/ gangs/ clubs you are a part of?
No sponsors. Sunnyvale Cycling Team here in Chicago. Shout out to Eric G. and Andrew D. for racing hard alongside and in front of me!

Fav. Race?
Crash the LA Marathon race, Los Angeles. Chicago Cyclocross Cup, Chicago.

Fav. place to ride or route(s) in Chicago?
Regular rides up Halsted/Milwaukee/Damen/North/Clyborn/Grand, West and South Loop. Hustling southbound on Michigan from Walton to Roosevelt if I want to play in traffic and really get the blood flowing.

Fav. person to ride with?
Eric Grzeskowiak, hands down.

Dope Chill spot?
Any Polish bars in the west loop for dives. Paramount Room or Map Room for beers.

Why Chicago?
The people are midwest friendly, the opinions are honest, the bars are plentiful, the weather is brutal, the riding is incredible and fast.

What do you do for work?
Sell quality gear at The North Face. Freelance sound mixer and editor when I want to mix it up (no pun intended).

What else do you do/ projects/ hobbies?
I like to read, paint walls, make/listen to music, build bikes, and write. Most of all, I love hanging with friends and having a laugh; this makes my world go 'round.

Dream Bike?
Canyon Ultimate CF SLX EVO frameset, SRAM Red, Mavic Carbone Wheelset.

Best/ worst about riding in Chicago?
Best thing is the area is small and super easy to navigate thanks to the streetgrid. Worst thing is the wind, it comes at you in every direction and blasts you in the face in the winter.

Any Chicago secrets/ tips you want to give out?
I have no secrets, only revelations. Watch out for potholes!

Shout outs?
Sunnyvale!, Sean and Joe at TOLA, Anthony, Colt, Simon Lee, Ace, Tracko, Avo, Beavs, O20, Stumpe, Montana Mafia, my girl Megan, my parents, and the city of Chicago.

Last word?
People make mistakes, people get caught up with life; give them that respect and understanding, stop hating and keep an honest head on your shoulders. Lastly, never stop creating.

More Profiles!

4 comments: