21 June, 2010

Official T-Level Infinity Rolltop Backpack Review



Alright, here we go... I recently acquired a T-Level Infinity Rolltop Backpack from my homie Kevin at StrykerLA. Now, not much is known in the states about T-Level bags, so I decided to do a review. When I first saw these on the interwebs, I thought, "damn, what a good looking bag" and really compared it to SAG bags in design. Once I got my hands on one, I realized that's where the comparison stops. There is so much more going on with this bag then SAG could ever come up with.. Enjoy the review...





My First impressions of the bag, I was in love at first sight. It looks so good in person. Clean lines, great design, amazing amount of pockets and hidden gems. Over a month later and I'm still finding hidden shit on it. Key chain loops, headphone holes, with tiny pockets for your ipod, weird shaped stash pockets, etc.... So comfy, full of stuff or completely empty. It has replaced my Baileyworks Citizen backpack as my go to bag. I use this bag more then any other bag, I own. Even when I don't really need to carry a bag, I still try to find an excuse to take it out.



What you see above and in the photos, is what I carry on my 12 miles commute work everyday. Extra shoes, Jeans, dress shirt, hat, water bottle, two Ulocks, (it is LA...) tools, pump, tubes, arm warmers, knee warmers, camera, book, shit to write with, odds and ends, and of course my Laptop inside it's case, plus a lunch! Everything listed fits perfectly in the bag, there are so many compartments and pockets, some times, I lose shit inside this bag. When filled to the brim, rolltop unrolled, everything stacked high, the bag still sits well and is very comfy with alot of weight. The Flaw is this, when filled to the top, the rolltop part pushes your head down, if you wear a helmet, it's far worse. Makes it hard to ride with and hurts your neck. So, don't fill it all the way up and this bag is perfect plus there is so much room, if you pack correctly you shouldn't have to worry about that.



The shoulder straps are the thickest I have seen on bag in a long time,and there's this great lower back pad that just sits perfectly in the small of your back, taking up any shocks or jostles you get while riding. There is a internal frame to keep the bag stiff, but there is a webbing like external frame that keeps the bag off your back, creating a space that allows your back to breathe. (see above photo) All the straps are completely adjustable, fold in on themselves and are held in place by velcro. This way, you lose weight by having velcro, instead of buckles and the straps compress down, so you don't all this extra strap length hanging in the wind. (I hate that) The chest strap is a perfect size, worked great, and the waist straps held the bag firmly in place, without feeling like you're going backpacking, super good for ridin with, no movement at all from the bag. Flaws with the straps, extra thick means comfy, but all the pads, act as sweat sponges, so your shirts are always soaked. But what bag doesn't get you pitted?



Front velcroed pocket flap, it's a great idea, but I would like to see this zippered or just a pouch. There's a ton of pockets inside the flap, and there a zippered pocket on the outside, plus a deep velcro pouch right above the flap, the latter two of these are really all you need for pens, papers, books or what ever odds and ends you carry. I say this, because when the bag is full or you have stuff in the above mentioned pockets, the velcro that holds the flap down, it tends not to stick as well, so it's something you need to fiddle with before taking off. If you don't need to put anything in there don't, it's not needed.





Side pockets, so well designed. Lots of storage on both sides, one side being it's own compartment, the other being an access point to the inside of the bag. You don't have to unpack to get to anything at the bottom, makes life that much easier. Drawbacks to the side pockets, the zippers become unzipped about an inch and half while riding. This only happens when the bag is full. I have yet to have them open all the way, they just work themselves loose. Also just below the zippered pockets are Ulock mini pockets or water bottle pockets. Even carrying two Ulocks on the bag you don't notice the weight. In LA, you can never have enough locks, so it's nice to have a bag that fit a bunch...



All in all, this is the best bag I have had for riding in a long time. I love it. The price point ($189) could come down a little bit, and if it does I could see this bag start to take over. (no pun intended)

Get it here.

PS. There have been some questions as to how water proof the T-level rolltop bags are. Stay tuned, I heard something went down this past weekend to test how water proof these bags are...


-Sean Martin

5 comments:

  1. LOL so it was YOU who snagged the last bag from Stryker. WTF IM A PAYING CUSTOMER!

    lol seriously, this bag in black is like the holy grail, its impossible to find anywhere to buy. Stryker LA told me they had one left, i payed, then they told me "whoops never mind someone snagged the last one".

    i was seriously bummed, then check all over online to find another one, and either im retarded (quite possible) or basically all the black ones are sold out.

    if that last one that someone snagged from the office or whatever that they had in stock that i was set to buy is THIS one, i will be going apeshit ASAP. way to rub your awesome bag in my face lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHHHHHHH NUMBA 1 SON HAS MADE FATHER VELLY VELLY HAPPY AAND ... VELY VELLY PROUD !

    DADDY

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alright...so I've seen the water test...but if you're saying that the side pockets become unzipped sometimes...wouldn't it mean this bag isn't so waterproof? I'd like to see a real water test; like having stryker spray for a couple of mins or more simulating an actual commute in the rain not just a couple of seconds on the biker.(I realize it doesn't rain in LA, I'm biking in Boston though)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm biking in the uk and for obvious reasons would love to know how waterproof this bag is!

    ReplyDelete