03 February, 2010

Keep your $$$$ Bike Safe Vol. 1

Ok, so I was Lurking on SFFIXED, and I saw this post and wanted to share it with you. If your as crazy and paranoid as I am, then you check on your bike every 15min when it's locked up. I am about to try this, I'll let you know how it goes. If you do, let me know....


from sffixed user: yellicinellijohn
you can do this to any bolt, i have them in my stem bolt, seatpost binder bolt and i'm putting one in the bolt that holds the saddle onto the post.


Want to learn how? then


i keep hearing about peeps getting their bar/stems jacked as well as post/saddles and i've heard of putting bearings in the bolts and dripping in wax, but i'd rather not put a flame to my bike if i need to adjust something.

what i did is similar but different. i cut down a spoke nipple to the depth of the bolt hole then threaded that onto a spoke 'key' i made. i then dropped a drop of wood glue into the hole and dropped the cut down nip on the spoke key into the hole and pushed it in so that the glue surrounded the nipple but didnt cover it. let it set up over night and then removed the key, voila, secured.

if i need to remove it i take the key and spin it into the nipple and pop the whole thing out. i know it's not perfect, but it makes me feel a little better. kewl thing is that after you pop it out and adjust what you need, another drop of glue and you are back in biz.


here's without the key in




and with the key in place

No comments:

Post a Comment