21 February, 2011

Rider Profile: Riccardo Stanley Mejia


We almost didn't have a Monday profile today. I have been pestering Riccardo all day about getting me the answers. He finally finished. Thank god. Hahaha. Seriously though I am very proud of this kid and how fast he has taken to riding bikes. I love to see him at races, and I always want him to win (unless I'm racing, of course). He is part of this next generation of LA cyclists, coming up from the streets, and that are gonna be killing it on every style of bike they touch, but also working on creating a better cycling city for LA. Everyone should take note and watch out. I will be right there cheering them on. Keep it up Riccardo, you are the future and I think it is in good hands.



Riccardo Stanley Mejia


What do you ride?
Depending on the type or ride or race I do, I use a specific bike. For the track races I ride a Fuji Track Comp ’09. For a road race I ride a Specialized Roubaix(pro) or a Giant TCR. During the Cycle Cross season I ride a Bianchi San Jose and for the trails I ride a Redline Monocog.

How long have you been riding/ what started you?
I’ve been riding for 3 years. My neighbor was a track racer back in his early years. He let me ride his track bike and fell in love with the mechanics of the bikes. I looked online for youth programs and joined The Connie Cycling at the ADT Velodrome in Carson, which was free. I did that for about a year and then focused on street and sanctioned races.

Do you wear a helmet and why or why not?
ALWAYS!!! Because I look hotter in one! But really, a helmet can save your life!

Favorite Shop? Why?
Orange 20, Golden Saddle Cyclery and Echo Park Cycles because I like to support my local bike shop.

Clip or clipless?
Clipless

Ride with headphones/ music?
Only on long rides when no cars are around, but normally I like to listen to life going on around me.

Sponsors or teams/ gangs/ clubs you are a part of?
The Juice, and Orange 20.

Fav. Race?
DTLA Summer Series Grand Prix, Lord of the Griffith, and the Marathon Crash Race.

Fav. place to ride or route(s) in LA?
Griffith Park, the I-39, and Pasadena.

Fav. person(s) to ride with?
Carlos, Fabian, Mauricio, Kyle, Ace, my sister Marcy, and of course Sean Martin.

Dope Chill spot?
My parents house, East LA, Downtown Library, and Griffith Park.

Why LA?
Born and raised, not leaving anytime soon.

What do you do for work?
I’m a full time college student at LA City College and I work at my old elementary school as the after school teacher assistant.

What else do you do/ projects/ hobbies?
I give drum lessons to kids in the San Fernando Valley. I also play in a family band with my sister and dad called RAICES witch is Spanish Rock, and I love to play soccer.

Dream Bike?
Bridgestone XO-1

Best/ worst about riding in LA?
The best about riding in LA is that you can ride to any part of the city and connect with different cultures and eat a bunch of different foods. Also, the weather is beautiful and there is diversity in the environments you can ride through like the mountains, beach, and inner-city. However, the worst things about riding in this city are the bad road conditions, traffic, pollution, and road rage.

Any LA secrets/ tips you want to give out?
It doesn’t get any easier, you just get faster!

Shout outs?
The hard workers at Orange 20, Sean Martin, Carlos, Eyeball, Ash, JTR, the Z brothers, Juan, Kyle Kelly, Stryker LA, Bud, Judee, UCRosko, Fumaz, and to all the people that promote the cycling culture.

Last word?
Ciclovia every week! Sponsor more youth (underrepresented peoples of color) that can’t afford cycling gear so that they may benefit from the awesome experience of riding and competition to effectively penetrate the boogie traditions of cycling in this country.


Check out the rest here!

No comments:

Post a Comment